E-Mail registration see below
The 4th HLCA Summer School on “Advancing health literacy during the life course: towards a health literate Europe”, will be held at Bielefeld University’s Interdisciplinary Centre for Health Literacy Research (ICHL) from 23 to 27 September 2019.
We invite students, early career researchers and post docs from e.g. public health, health communication, education, sociology, psychology, health care interested in or working on health literacy-related research questions.
The school will focus on:
- European health literacy developments in research, policy and practice
- The professionalisation of health literacy
- interdisciplinary skill in future health
- knowledge, attitude and practice to create health literacy responsive organisations and systems
- Health literacy research at the ICHL
- conceptual and methodological considerations and developments,
- surveys in children, adoelscentes and adults
- intervention studies, including mental and digital health literacy
- health literacy policy-making across sectors
- Kristine Sørensen, Global Health Literacy Academy, Aarhus, Denmark
Lectures, Teachings and Presentations
Key experts from health promotion, health literacy, childhood research, education, and health equity will teach and give keynote presentations on the newest developments in the field.
Besides teaching, participants will collaboratively work in different working groups addressing research development and designing own projects as well as health literacy action plans and policy proposals.
Participants will introduce their findings and project ideas at the market place. This will allow for reflecting and critically discussing their approaches.
Presentation / Interactive
The Summer School will be complemented with the presentation of the results of the interactive session.
3 ECTS points can be awarded upon participation and further 3 ECTS points upon presenting the group work results.
Registration and Fees
The Summer School is free.
Registration is open until 14 June 2019. Please note that the summer school space is limited. All applicants will need to forward a motivational letter (not more than 400 words) and a CV including your field of study/research, affiliation, address and contact details. The motivational letter should include how your study, research or activism relates to health literacy and the broader summer school focus.
To apply, please send a single PDF document not later than Friday 14 June 2019 to
- Orkan Okan (orkan.okan[at]uni-bielefeld.de),
- Kristine Sørensen (contact[at]globalhealthliteracyacademy.org) and
- Mona Corsmeier (mona.corsmeier[at]uni-bielefeld.de).
Please make sure that you address always all three contact persons under the subject heading “Summer School”, otherwise we cannot guarantee that your request will be processed.
Contact Summer School
In case of general queries, please contact Orkan Okan (orkan.okan[at]uni-bielefeld.de).
Contact HLCA Consortium
Summer School Venue
Bielefeld University was founded in 1969 with an explicit research assignment and a mission to provide high-quality research-oriented teaching. Today it encompasses 13 faculties covering a broad spectrum of disciplines in the humanities, natural sciences, social sciences, and technology. With about 24,000 students in 115 degree courses and about 2,750 staff members (including 269 professors and lecturers as well as 1,390 academic staff) it is one of Germany’s medium-sized universities.
1. Apartments, Studierendenwerk an der Morgenbreede
2. B & B Hotel Bielefeld
Europa Platz 2 (Boulevard), 33613 Bielefeld
3. Stay-Inn Boardinghouse
Herforder-Str. 29, 33602 Bielefeld
4. Kolping Haus Bielefeld. Prices vary between 20 and 25 Euro. Please ask for a possible offer under: Kolpinghaus Bielefeld Jugendgästehaus – Preise/Ausbildungsförderung
5. Airbnb.You find it in the Internet under: Ferienwohnungen, Unterkünfte, Entdeckungen & Orte – Airbnb einsehbar.
6. Couchsurfing. More Information you find here: Meet and Stay with Locals All Over the World können